Aloha, and thank you for looking into our summer Hawaii program.
The Hawaiian islands are a paradise rich with magnificent hotels, sandy beaches, brilliant sunsets and some of the best recreational and relaxation spots on earth. Beyond the tourist attractions, though, lies a natural wonder of botanical rarities, explosive geological features and themes of evolution, adaptation, conservation and extinction. Born from the sea floor in a continuous chain of volcanoes, the Hawaiian islands exist today as a window into biological and geological processes that tell the story of life on earth.
Join us in the Hawaiian islands with the opportunity to study in this unique environment and earn 16 college credit hours!
Mahalo nui loa (thank you),
Matthew Dempsey and Amanda Mello
Some words from a former student about Hawaiian Field Studies:
The opportunity to explore biology, botany and ecology with the Hawaiian islands as a laboratory was a learning experience that has gone unmatched during my entire academic career. The course was the best investment I made during my time at North Lake.”
– Terry B.
2019 Summer Program Information
- 16 College Credit Hours
- Big Island of Hawaii
- Travel Dates for 2019
June 20 through July 1, PENDING APPROVAL*
*Last updated Nov. 20, 2018
Steps to Join
- Email the program to be added to the list
- Submit a $750 deposit (check or credit card). Deposit is refundable until classes begin in March or whenever the program fills to capacity.
You can call 972-273-3310 to make your deposit or visit the Cashier's Office.
Just be sure to
write down your receipt number!
Starting at the end of March, all on the weekends and online. An orientation night will take place on March 22 at the North Lake Campus. Friends and family are welcome to attend.
- Saturday, March 23 - North Lake Campus
- Sunday, March 31 - Friends of Coppell Nature Park
- Saturday, April 13 - North Lake Campus
- Sunday, April 14 - Friends of Coppell Nature Park
- Saturday, May 18 - North Lake Campus
- Sunday, May 19 - Friends of Coppell Nature Park
- Saturday, June 1 - North Lake Campus
- Sunday, June 2 - Friends of Coppell Nature Park
Please note the class dates are subject to change. More detailed information regarding orientation and the final class schedule will be given in email announcements.
- Student Expenses: $750 Deposit* + $381* Balance (+or-$100)*
- Airline Package: $900* airfair to and from HNL + bags
- Tuition: $944* for in-county residents*
- For complete payment explanations, due dates and up to date information, email or call.
Not included: Meals, luggage fees and calls/texts.
*Subject to change.
The amount for the trip should run about $2,975. Please note that only the student fee deposit and tuition are refundable (up until the first day of class). All other fees are not refundable. More detailed information will be added as it becomes available.
BIOL 1411 - Intro Botany (4 hours)
BIOL 2406 - Environmental Biology (4 hours)
GEOL 1401 - Earth Science (3 hours)
ARTS 2356 - Digital Photography
PHED 1164 - Intro to Fitness
Total - 16 Credit Hours*
*Students must enroll in all courses to participate in the program.
Also note that this program is subject to cancellation if enrollment does not meet a specific quota or other circumstances arise.
Contact and More Info