Are you interested in going to school and working on campus? If so, the Brookhaven Federal Work-study (FWS) program could be right for you. Work-study has a lot to offer. Complete the application process, and you could find a job at the college that will give you work experience, connections with college staff, and it could mean fewer student loans to repay later.
How to Apply
Here's how to get things started.
Complete the FAFSA. Be sure to include the Brookhaven school code — 014471.
- Confirm with your financial aid office that no additional documents are required.
Complete the application.
- Students must review and sign the policies and guidelines for work-study employment. Contact us for the form.
Once we have your application, we'll send it to the Career Development Center if you're eligible. They will contact you for an interview, and then forward your information to interested divisions and departments across campus.
Hints to Get Hired
When you turn in an application, you'll want to have an edge over the other students. Here are a few of our recommendations.
- Feel free to include a résumé. It's not required, but it shows professionalism.
- Departments use the contact information you provide to reach you. Please make sure it's legible and current.
- In general, use your best hand-writing. If you're tech-savvy, you can fill it out on the computer, print it, and sign at the bottom.
- If your class schedule allows it, try to be available mornings. Most students are not.
Departments and Divisions
Curious where you might end up working? Here are some of the places on campus that may be hiring.
- Admissions Office
- Advising Center
- Career Development Center
- Student Support Services
- Financial Aid Office
- Outreach Office
- Office of Student Life
- Business Studies Division
- Communications Division
- Health and Human Services Division
- School of the Arts
- Mathematics and Science Division
- Social Science Division
- World Languages Division
Federal College Work-study Job Description
- Title Name: Financial Aid Work-Study
- Employee Category: Work-Study
- Job Title Code: FAWS
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
Job Description Summary/Essential Duties: Performs routine clerical duties; completes forms; provides information and instructions and gives hand-outs. Sorts and files records and reports. Answers telephone, conveys messages and runs errands. Sorts and distributes mail. Assists with mailings by addressing and stuffing envelopes. Makes copies and send facsimile. May performs other duties as required within the scope of the clerical position.
Physical Demands: Most incumbents work with light, easy to handle materials.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from high school or equivalent. Completion of Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA) and the ability to meet all eligibility requirements determined by FAFSA and institutional Financial Aid policy. No experience required. Some positions require typing. Oral communications skills to support interaction with varying levels of Dallas College staff, students and the general public.
*Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment with Dallas College.*