Initial Training for Mammography (40-Hour Course)
- Preparing radiographers for a future in mammography
- 40 continuing education credits approved by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)
- Clinical Practicum also available for students who have already completed a face-to-face course for Initial Training for Mammography
The enrollment deadline is one week prior to first class date.
Fall 1: Aug. 4–6, 8, 11–13, 18–20
Fall 2: Oct. 27–29, 31; Nov. 3–5, 10–12
The course will meet Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings from 6 p.m.–9:15 p.m. for three weeks, and one Saturday from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., to provide the required 40-hour initial training in mammography, including digital mammography.
Contact the Brookhaven campus' Workforce and Continuing Education Division at 972-860-4715 to enroll.
The course covers the concepts, theories and equipment employed in breast imaging. Emphasis will be placed on breast anatomy, physiology, routine and additional projections and positions and patient education and assessment.
Content will include mammographic techniques for breast compression, magnification, specimen radiography and selection of technical factors.
The course will also integrate interventional procedures, special exams, special modalities and instruction on full field digital mammography to provide attendees with the initial training required by the Mammography Quality Standards Act (MQSA).
Admission and Cost
ARRT-registered technologist or current Radiologic Sciences student
- Tuition: $1,100
- Textbook: "Mammographic Imaging: A Practical Guide" by Andolina and Lillé (ISBN: 9781496352026)
- Optional Clinical Practicum: Available for those needing assistance obtaining a clinical site
- Drug screen and background check: $84
- Clinical course and liability insurance: $261