Become a Global Citizen
The Global Citizenship Program invites applications from Dallas College students to participate in the Dallas College 2020 Global Citizenship Alliance Seminar for Students.
What is the Global Citizenship Seminar?
The Seminar is a week-long intensive seminar where you will meet with peers from other campuses and universities to participate in lectures, discussions, and projects which will:
- Enhance your understanding of your current and future role in the global community.
- Broaden your appreciation and tolerance for different cultures.
- Expand your knowledge of issues common to all global citizens.
Where does this happen?
Sessions are held in the home of the Salzburg Global Seminar in the historic palace of Schloss Leopoldskron in Salzburg, Austria. You will be housed in a historic hotel on the property.
More information is available through the following websites:
Salzburg Global and Global Citizenship Alliance.
Who is eligible to participate?
For the 2020 session sponsored by Dallas College, students must meet these qualifications:
- Must be enrolled as a student at a Dallas College campus and have already completed 12 credit hours with at least a 3.5 GPA.
- Must be a current member of PTK or eligible and willing to join PTK.
- You must commit to enroll at the same campus in the fall of 2020 and continue as a student through the fall semester.
- You must commit to participate in a global leadership and trip orientation seminar scheduled for March/April and become a part of a global student leadership team engaged in sharing aspects of your experience with others at the campus and in the community during the fall of 2020.
- You must be at least 18 years of age by May 24, 2020.
- You must be a United States citizen who possesses a valid U.S. passport with at least six months' validity beyond May 24, 2020.
- You must have fulfilled the requirements of the Dallas College international travel policies.
How much does it cost?
The cost of your participation (approximately $4,500 per student) will be paid by the Dallas College campus you attend. Your room and all meals during the seminar will be provided as well as transportation between Dallas and Salzburg. You will need to have your own funds for meals en route and for personal expenses.
How do I apply?
Contact your campus Phi Theta Kappa advisor to obtain the application. Once completed, submit all required paperwork to your Phi Theta Kappa advisor at your campus by March 6, 2020. (If you do not have a U.S. passport, you should apply for one at this time. Please note that your passport must be valid for six months beyond the end of the trip.) In addition to the application itself, you must provide two letters of recommendation:
- If you are already a Phi Theta Kappa member, one from your Phi Theta Kappa advisor and another from a professor whose class you have taken or are taking, or,
- If you are not already a member of Phi Theta Kappa, two letters of recommendation from professors whose classes you have taken or are taking.
Finalists will be interviewed, with final delegates to be notified by March 13, 2020.