Dallas College cares about its students’ academic, emotional and physical success.
The CARE Team was created to accept referrals regarding individuals in distress, struggling with basic needs, experiencing unexpected crises or whose behavior raises concerns about their well-being or that of others.
The CARE Team also addresses behaviors or mental, emotional or psychological health conditions that may be disruptive, harmful or pose a direct threat or risk to the health and safety of the community.
CARE Team Referral Forms
Tips for Recognizing Students in Distress
- Changes in academic performance in the classroom
- Significant drop in examination scores
- Change in pattern of interaction
- Changes in physical appearance
- Problems concentrating and remembering things or making decisions
- Repeated requests for special consideration
- New or regularly occurring behavior which pushes the limits and may interfere with class
- Disruptive to other students, faculty or staff
- Unusual or exaggerated emotional responses
- High levels of irritability or inappropriate excitement
- Persistent sadness or unexplained crying
Highly Disturbed Behavior
- Outbursts of anger
- Inability to communicate clearly
- Irrational conversation or speech that seems disconnected
- Loss of contact with reality (seeing/hearing things that are not there, beliefs or actions at odds with reality)
- Suspiciousness, irrational feelings of persecution
- Statements related to death or dying or feelings of hopelessness
- Threats of harming self or harming others
How do you make a referral to the CARE Team?
Complete and submit the campus CARE Team Online Referral Form. A member of the CARE Team will review this information Monday-Friday within 24 business hours.
Note: The CARE Team Online Referral Form is not for emergency situations. In case of an emergency, call 911 on a campus phone or 972-860-4290 from a cell phone.