In case of fire at a campus or service location of Dallas College:
Remember — No personal property or location property is worth risking your safety or life.
- If it is safe to do so, take your personal belongings and put away sensitive material. Position all items you will take with you so they are secure but quickly accessible.
- Secure sensitive areas. If you work in a sensitive area, such as the cashier office, secure these areas before leaving if possible to help prevent fire damage and/or theft.
- After asking, assist staff or visitors with mobility issues who may need assistance.
- Leave the area by means of the primary evacuation route. If this exit is blocked, use a secondary route.
- Once outside the building, move at least 100 feet from the building. If instructed by College Emergency Response Team (CERT) members and/or first responders, move further away from the building(s). Wait for instructions.
- Do not re-enter building until police, CERT members and/or the fire department advises it is safe to do so.
Remember R.A.C.E. if you discover a fire:
Relocate — If it is safe to do so, relocate or rescue people in immediate danger. Instruct others to report to one of the gathering areas as you leave the building. Be aware of people who may need assistance.
Alarm — Pull the building fire alarm to alert others. Move to a safe location. Call 972-860-4290 (College Central Dispatch) immediately using a cell phone, then contact a CERT member, and report the precise location of the fire.
Confine — Close all doors, windows and other openings to confine the fire. Shut off fuel sources such as piped gases and compressed gas cylinders as you evacuate, if this can be done safely.
Evacuate — Evacuate building.
- Use fire extinguishers only on small fires that are just starting to burn.
- Never turn your back to a fire. Keep a clear exit between you and the fire at all times.
- Lift the extinguisher by the bottom handle with one hand. The bottom handle will not activate the extinguisher.
- Most extinguishers will have a plastic tab around the handle. Grasp the tab, pull and twist to break free. Discard tab.
- Follow the
Pull — Pull the pin or ring after breaking plastic tie.
Aim — Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire.
Squeeze — Squeeze or press the handles together.
Sweep — Sweep the nozzle slowly from side to side, aiming at the base of the fire.
- Continue until the extinguisher is empty.
- Exit to a safe location.
- Any type of fire must be reported. Call 911 on a college phone or College Central Dispatch at 972-860-4290 on your cell phone.