Guidelines for Circulation of Library Materials
Guidelines vary from campus to campus. Please check with the specific campus for details. Each campus will determine how best to deliver the materials to distance learners.
Library materials may be loaned to the following:
- Currently enrolled students of Dallas College and currently employed Dallas College faculty, administrators and staff
- TexShare cardholders
- Retired Dallas College personnel cardholders
Note: Exceptions may be made by individual campus. Different types of borrowers have varying privileges.
Some form of identification, such as those listed below, is required when borrowing materials. Contact your campus library for specific information about its requirements.
- A valid picture ID, driver's license or any Dallas College campus-specific ID card
- Current registration receipt. The receipt states the beginning and ending dates of the class during which time borrowing privileges are allowed.
- TexShare card
- Dallas College retiree ID card
Different types of borrowers have varying privileges. Each campus will determine how best to deliver the materials to distance learners.
Books in the circulating collection may be checked out for three weeks and renewed for an additional three weeks, as long as a "hold" has not been placed on the book.
Dependent on the individual college's policy, nonprint materials may be checked out for a limited time period.
A maximum of 10 items may be checked out. TexShare patrons may check out 2 items.
Generally, reference books, periodicals and reserve items do not circulate. Each campus library may also have special collections that do not circulate. These must be used in the library.
Return of Materials
Materials may be returned to any Dallas College campus library.
A borrower may place a hold on a circulating item that is owned by Dallas College.
All materials checked out from a Dallas College campus library are considered overdue if not returned to the library by the due date.
Borrowers with overdue items are notified by e-mail, phone, or US mail.
At the end of the semester, all borrowers with overdue items are blocked. Such borrowers are unable to obtain transcripts or to register for additional classes until overdue materials are returned or paid for.
Borrowing privileges are available to North Lake students, faculty and staff. Student or Employee ID card is required for all transactions.
- Loan period for circulating materials is three weeks.
- Materials can be renewed once for an additional three-week period, as long as a "hold" has not been placed on the item.
- Up to 10 items can be checked out at a time.
- Materials may be returned to the Circulation desk or placed in either of the two book drops located outside the Library's main entry and South entrance.
- Requests for materials or "holds" can be placed over the phone or through the
- Requested items may be picked up at any Dallas College campus library.
- Checked out materials may be returned to any Dallas College campus library.
- Checked out materials are considered overdue if not returned by the due date, which is printed on the paper receipt issued at the time of checkout.
- Courtesy overdue notices are issued by e-mail, telephone and/or mail.
- Borrowers with overdue materials on their Library accounts cannot check out additional materials.
- At the end of a semester, borrowers with overdue items are blocked (unable to obtain transcripts or register for additional classes) until overdue materials are returned or paid for.
- Cost for lost or damaged items equals the cost of the item plus a $10 processing fee.
- Materials in the Reference collection, magazines, journals, periodicals, and course reserves do not check out of the Library.
- Reciprocal borrowing privileges are granted also to those holding valid
TexShare cards to a maximum of two items.