Faculty Job Description
The Dallas County Community College District seeks faculty who strive for excellence and have a continuous dedication to student centered values, learning and personal growth. Faculty bring job related personal qualities that optimize the learning environment. Faculty who possess such qualities are committed to continuous student learning and demonstrate passion and skill in effective teaching/learning facilitation.
They are innovative and committed to on-going assessment and evaluation of their teaching. They demonstrate competence in their discipline and in working effectively with diverse populations. They demonstrate a commitment to the mission and philosophy of the community college through their continued personal growth, their collegiality and collaboration with others, and their effective communication with others, particularly about the scholarship of teaching and learning. Finally, they demonstrate and promote high ethical standards and academic honesty.
Primary Area of Responsibility
- Teaches students effectively in assigned classes and maintains office hours for student consultation in accordance with procedures outlined in the Dallas County Community College Board Policy Manual and/or agreed upon with immediate supervisor.
- Provides students with a written course syllabus that should include items specified by the college and/or Dallas County Community College District.
- Participates in the evaluation of the instructional process and uses innovative strategies to continually improve learning.
- Participates in development and support of their discipline by recommending books and materials, revising curricula, and recommending teaching assignments when appropriate.
- Maintains accurate and complete course records as required by law and the Board of Trustees Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Performs professional activities and assumes professional responsibilities as agreed upon with the division dean and works with colleagues to achieve shared goals and visions. Values the collaborative process.
- Uses knowledge of diverse communities and learning styles and has the ability to incorporate diversity of delivery of such learning styles in instruction.
- Participates in student advising and registration.
- Utilizes technology to facilitate learning and to access data, maintain records, generate reports, and communicate with others.
Institutional Service Responsibilities (College and Dallas County Community College System)
- Meets professional assignments in accordance with the System’s calendar and contractual obligations.
- Complies with DALLAS COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT board policy, state and federal policy, and the student code of conduct as appropriate.
- Commits to college mission and goals through participating in planning division objectives and budget requests.
- Serves on and attends college and/or system committees as assigned.
- Participates in campus commencement exercise(s) as required by Board Policy and attends other required college meetings and activities.
- Participates in his/her own performance appraisal.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with persons from diverse backgrounds.
Student Services Responsibilities
- May work with student clubs and/or organizations. Community
- Consistent with other DCCCD job descriptions demonstrates verbal and written communication skills to support and enhance effective interaction between Dallas County Community College District and other organizations, businesses and community groups as well as faculty, staff \and students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Promotes the college in the community by participating in a variety of marketing activities.
Professional Growth Responsibilities
- Participates in professional development activities.
THE ABOVE REVISED FACULTY TEACHING POSITION DESCRIPTION PROVIDES A SUMMARY OF CHANGES MADE BY CCAB TO THE ORIGINAL FACULTY ROLES TASK FORCE JOB DESCRIPTION DOCUMENT. INPUT FROM FACULTY COUNCIL WAS TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT.
Revised: July 11, 2005 Revised: August 1, 2001, 2006