Showing COVID-19 Symptoms on Campus Protocol
If an individual begins to show COVID-19 symptoms while at a Dallas College location, it is important to get the individual the help they need while also ensuring the health and safety of others in the area.
- Maintain social distancing of at least six feet from the individual and ask them to move away from others.
- Contact the location's Back to Campus Coordinator and inform them of the situation.
- If the individual is in acute respiratory distress, call for an ambulance. After the individual has been transported, report the incident via the eConnect COVID-19 reporting form.
- If the individual is not in acute respiratory distress, advise the individual to go home and contact their healthcare provider for further directions and advise.
Once notified of the situation, the Back to Campus Coordinator will conduct a short interview to determine the necessary information, outlined below.
- Contact information
- Home address
- Determine if the individual is able to drive their own vehicle
- Where the individual has visited on campus
- Other individuals the ill person may have had close contact with on campus during the prior two-day period
After the interview, the individual will be advised to go home or visit their medical provider. If the student or employee tests positive for COVID-19, the Back to Campus Coordinator will then take the actions outlined below.
- Initiate the COVID-19 Positive Process.
- Follow up with the individual to verify spaces they had occupied and other individuals with whom they may have had close contact
- Relocate classes or office occupants from those spaces and coordinate with Facilities Services to ensure the area is closed for at least 24 hours and deep cleaned and disinfected in accordance with
- Assist with the Post Positive Investigation and ensure proper reporting is made on the Positive COVID-19 Reporting Form.
- Work with the Critical Response Office to provide them with necessary information for Clery Act reporting and to determine if other employees or students from the infected individual's workgroup or class should be temporarily sent home.
Confirmed COVID-19 Case – Reporting Protocol
If an individual tests positive for COVID-19, the case should be reported via the
Positive COVID-19 Reporting Form. This form can either be completed by the impacted individual or on behalf of someone who has tested positive. The submission of this form will initiate the Post Positive Investigation process to determine if the impacted individual was in close contact with anyone else, along with which areas the impacted individual visited and must be cleaned.
The Critical Response Office will notify any potentially exposed individuals. If it is determined that a potentially exposed individual did experience close contact with a positive COVID-19 case, they will be instructed to follow the self-quarantine procedures outlined by the CDC. If an exposed individual begins to experience symptoms, they should seek advice from a medical professional.
Definition of Close Contact
Close contact is defined by the CDC as being less than six feet away from a positive COVID-19 case for 15 minutes or more or having direct contact with the infectious secretions of a positive COVID-19 case, such as being coughed on.
If a positive COVID-19 case occurs in a classroom, instructors will receive guidance on the continuation or cancelation of class. If a positive COVID-19 case occurs in a workspace, supervisors and employees will receive guidance from the Critical Response Office.
Human Resources will also be notified if the individual is an employee and will reach out to the employee to discuss their benefits and leave options.
Confirmed COVID-19 Case – Cleaning Protocol
If an individual is reported as having a confirmed case of COVID-19 and has been at a Dallas College location within the past 14 days, specific cleaning protocols will be implemented to clean and disinfect all affected areas the individual may have visited.
Upon notification of a positive COVID-19 case, Facilities Management will initiate the disinfection process. Access to all identified areas will be restricted for a minimum of 24 hours while they are thoroughly sanitized.
Returning to Dallas College Post COVID-19 Positive
Individuals who have previously tested positive for COVID-19 will be allowed to return to work or class under the following conditions:
- The individual is cleared through the Appian app; or
- The individual satisfies the criteria for discontinuation of isolation, as published by the CDC.