- There are around 120 million native speakers of German around the world.
- German is the most widely spoken language in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, all of which have among the highest per capita incomes in the world.
- Germany has the world’s fourth-largest economy in terms of gross domestic product, and it is the world’s number one exporter.
The Core Curriculum
In order to be eligible for a bachelor's degree at a Texas public college or university, you must first complete a
Core Curriculum of courses.
When completed at Dallas College, the Core Curriculum is guaranteed to transfer as a block to any public university in the state of Texas.
You may apply two German courses toward your Core Curriculum requirements:
- GERM 1411 or 1412 can be taken to complete the "Tier 1: Speaking and Listening" requirement.
- GERM 2311 or 2312 can be taken to complete the "Tier 2: Humanity, Creativity and the Aesthetic Experience" requirement.
Actual course offerings vary from semester to semester, so check
eConnect or the
online course schedules for current course availability.
Concurrent (Noncredit) Enrollment
If you want to take academically rigorous courses in German but do not need college credit for them, then you might consider taking our credit German courses “concurrently,” i.e., for noncredit.
If you are interested, please contact Brookhaven's
Workforce and Continuing Education Division.