- France is the largest country in Western Europe and the third largest in all of Europe.
- France welcomes 79.5 million tourists annually, making it the most visited country in the world.
- Between 300–500 million people worldwide speak French as a first or second language.
- More than 400 different types of cheese are produced in France.
Study French Abroad
Through the Multinational Academic Program for Study Abroad (MAP), you can study French at a language school in France or Canada and earn Dallas College credit — without spending a fortune.
The Core Curriculum
In order to be eligible for a bachelor's degree at a Texas public college or university, you must first complete a Core Curriculum of courses.
When completed at Dallas College, the Core Curriculum is guaranteed to transfer as a block to any public university in the state of Texas.
You may apply two French courses toward your Core Curriculum requirements:
- FREN 1411 or 1412 can be taken to complete the "Tier 1: Speaking and Listening" requirement.
- FREN 2311 or 2312 can be taken to complete the "Tier 2: Humanity, Creativity and the Aesthetic Experience" requirement.
Actual course offerings vary from semester to semester, so check
eConnect or the online course schedules for current course availability.
Concurrent (Noncredit) Enrollment
If you want to take academically rigorous courses in French but do not need college credit for them, then you might consider taking our credit French courses “concurrently,” i.e., for noncredit.
If you are interested, please contact Brookhaven's Workforce and Continuing Education Division.