The Richland Wind Symphony is Richland’s concert band that performs contemporary, standard and unique wind band works of many styles from different eras.
Focused on developing ensemble sound and artistic repertoire, the Richland Wind Symphony performs over 20 works each year throughout its performance season, many of which are new or recently published. Conducted by Derrick Logozzo, department chair and director of instrumental music, the ensemble performs various evening and daytime concerts as part of the Richland Performance Calendar. Placement auditions occur throughout the year for all qualified woodwind, brass and percussion instrumentalists. Scholarships are available. Members include mainly Music majors and minors, as well as participants with a background in concert band performance. Additional sectional rehearsals outside of class time occur on an as-needed basis. Richland-owned instruments and instrument lockers are available for student use as needed.
Many guest clinicians, soloists and conductors from various music fields visit and perform regularly with the Wind Symphony. Past artists have included:
- Sean O’Loughlin, film score composer and Hollywood Bowl pops conductor
- Eugene Corporon, director of wind studies at the University of North Texas
- Michael Hayes, trombonist for the Fort Worth Symphony Orchestra
- Brian Merrill, retired director of music education at Southern Methodist University
- Rob Myers, director instrumental music for Arlington ISD
- Dr. Jeremy Earnhart, executive director of Music for All
- Boriana Savova, pianist and Richland Music faculty
- Dr. Douglas Stoddard, director of bands at the University of Texas at Arlington
- Bill Watson, retired director of fine arts for Lewisville ISD
- Bobby Francis, director of bands at Texas Christian University
- Philip Clements, director of bands at Texas A&M University-Commerce
The Wind Symphony performs a varied repertoire, including new wind orchestra works, world music selections, classical and operatic transcriptions, traditional marches and patriotic tributes.