The Joe Cortina HEEM Student Travel and Professional Development Fund
This fund was established in honor of Dr. Joe Cortina, a Richland Reading Professor, who is a long-time supporter of the HEEM program. Students enrolled in the program may apply for up to $500 each year to support the following:
- Student membership fees to industry organizations
- Registration fees for conferences and seminars
- Transportation expenses for conferences and seminars
- Admission fees for expositions, conventions and events
- Expenses related to familiarization trips
The goal of the fund is to encourage students enrolled in the HEEM program to supplement their classroom experiences by participating in professional organizations, conferences and other industry-related events. This fund may
NOT be used for:
- Payment of tuition
- Purchase of textbooks or other instructional materials
- Class field trips
- Awards (trophies or plaques)
- Gifts (prizes or graduation-related expenses)
- Administrative costs (making copies, office supplies)
Application Instructions and Requirements
The fund is available only to Richland HEEM students. Applications may be submitted throughout the year.
- Submit completed application to either the School of Business, located in Bonham Hall, Room B-101, or to the HEEM Program Coordinator, M.T. Hickman (office: Wichita Hall, Room WH-230).
- Applications to attend conferences, seminars, expositions, conventions and familiarization trips must be submitted
at least two weeks prior to the event.
- Applications for student memberships to industry organizations must be submitted and approved
prior to full participation at organization meetings or events.
- Multiple applications may be submitted.
Please contact M.T. Hickman for more information at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 972-238-6097.
The following annual renewable scholarships are available exclusively to HEEM students.
- Dallas County residents taking HEEM classes: $500/semester
- Out-of-district residents taking HEEM classes: $750/semester
- International students on F-1 Visas taking HEEM classes: $1,000/semester
- Sally Goldesberry Endowment Scholarship: $1,000/semester
- HEEM Club Endowment Scholarship: $500/semester
- High school graduates or high school seniors who have taken tourism and hospitality classes: $500/semester
Industry organizations also offer scholarships to HEEM students:
Learn more about Dallas College scholarship opportunities at the Dallas College Foundation website.