The American English and Culture Institute (AECI) is an intensive English program designed to meet the needs of international F-1 Visa students preparing to study at American colleges and universities or planning to work in fields where English is the primary language.
What will I study at the AECI?
- Listening and speaking skills, including pronunciation and note-taking.
- Academic reading, including academic vocabulary-building and reading strategies.
- Academic writing (paragraph and essay construction, revising and editing).
- Beginning to advanced grammar (sentence structure, form and use of verb tenses.)
- American culture/global perspectives, including cultural field trips and intercultural campus and classroom activities.
- The program consists of five levels of instruction.
- Additionally, the AECI's Bridge Program is a college-level program that offers transferable credit for up to six credit hours of instruction to students who complete the final level of instruction mid-semester and students enrolled in English 1301, Speech 1311 and EDUC 1300.
Who will teach me?
- Instructors are university-trained in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
- Instructors have an average of 14 years of teaching experience, and some have taught English as a Foreign Language (EFL) in the following countries: Argentina, China, Costa Rica, England, Japan, Mexico, Pakistan, the Republic of China/Taiwan, Senegal, South Korea, Ukraine and the United Arab Emirates.
- Instructors provide dynamic, innovative instruction and work together to create learner-centered classroom environments.
- Instructors have traveled to an average of 11 countries each and enjoy learning about cultures to improve global connections.
Where will I study?
Why should I study at the American English and Culture Institute?
- Dallas is a vibrant city known for its art, restaurants and shopping.
Learn more about this exciting city.
- The AECI offers an affordable educational opportunity. Tuition and fees are lower than most other programs in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Most important, you will receive a full range of academic services that includes excellent instructors and knowledgeable academic and international advisors to ensure that you are well-prepared to achieve your academic and professional goals.
- The Richland campus provides students access to a variety of resources, including state-of-the-art computer and science labs, a language center, the campus library and a cafeteria, gym, theater, coffee shop and bookstore.
- AECI students can take advantage of numerous campus programs, student organizations and clubs and performing arts events.
When will I study?
- The AECI offers a year-round program of study in eight-week sessions. Please review the application deadlines below for the session you want to begin.
- Students attend classes five days a week and receive 20–25 hours of classroom instruction per week.
Deadline for New Students
for Transfer Students
within the U.S.
|1||August–October||June 1||July 15|
|2||October–December||Aug. 15||Sept. 15|
|3||January–March||Oct. 1||Nov. 15|
|4||March–May||Jan. 15||Feb. 15|
|5||June–July||March 1||April 15|
To maintain the quality of instruction in the AECI, we will monitor enrollment levels for each session. If enrollment exceeds our capacity, your application will be considered for the next available semester. If you are interested in attending the following semester, please contact the
Note: Richland is not affiliated with any private agency requiring an application fee or offering a tuition waiver or scholarship to attend our program for language training, to participate in athletics or to take college-level coursework toward completing a degree.
this page for information regarding admission of F-1 Visa students.
Tuition and Fees*: $1,218 per level (eight-week session).
- Two sessions ($2,436 total) are required for each spring and fall term.
Textbooks: Approximately $250 per level.
- Used and rental books may be available at a lower cost.
Learn more about textbook purchasing options.
Living Expenses: Approximately $1,500 per month.
- Including housing, meals, transportation and health insurance (students provide their own housing, meals, transportation and health insurance.)
Learn more about the cost of living in the north Dallas area.
Learn more about free public transportation for qualified AECI Richland students enrolled at Dallas College.
*Tuition and fees are subject to change without notice.
*Session start and end dates are subject to change.
Learn About Our Other ESOL Programs