The Criminal Justice program at Eastfield will prepare you for a wide range of career opportunities. Our faculty draw on their knowledge and experience to ensure student success.
Basic Peace Officer Training
Eastfield’s Criminal Justice Training Center was licensed in 1991 by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) — now the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) — to provide Basic Peace Officer training and In-Service Peace Officer training.
The goal of our Basic Peace Officer training is to produce graduates who can perform law enforcement work at entry level and pass the TCOLE certification exam. The first-time pass rate of our graduates is 98 percent, with a 100 percent pass rate on the second attempt. Graduates of our academy are employed in more than 50 different police and fire departments in the North Texas area.
Course Structure and Length
TCOLE requires 643 hours of Basic Peace Officer instruction on specified topics. Our law enforcement academy requires and provides 774 hours.
Our state-licensed academy offers both full-time and part-time Basic Peace Officer courses:
- Full-time classes are held from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and take about one semester to complete.
- Part-time classes are held from 6 - 10 p.m. Monday through Friday and take about two semesters to complete.
- Ours is an open-enrollment academy — one of only a few in the North Texas area. Cadets who meet both state and college requirements may be accepted to the academy without agency endorsement.
Costs and Materials
- Cost of the course is $1,935 for all five phases of the academy and can be paid by phase. Financial aid and veterans' assistance are available.
- Additional fees for uniforms, books, ammunition and personal police equipment, totaling $500–$700, are the responsibility of the cadet. Weapons are provided by the academy.
TCOLE Peace Officer Licensing Examination
Upon completion of the academy, successful students will be presented with a certificate of eligibility to take the TCOLE Peace Officer Licensing Examination. The examination can be taken at Eastfield.
Earning College Credit
Eastfield’s Criminal Justice Training Center is administered through its social science department as a Continuing Education program, and course credits are awarded in continuing education units (CEUs).
However, upon completion of Basic Peace Officer training, you may apply to Eastfield to be awarded 24 hours of college credit.
Specialty, Mandatory and In-Service Courses
Other courses are offered in specific areas for law enforcement officers. These courses are designed to comply with TCOLE requirements and to upgrade officers’ professional skills. TCOLE training, including both certificate courses and grant-funded training, is offered to current commissioned officers at no cost.
The academy promotes job placement through recognition ceremonies, active recruiter visits and agency ride-alongs.
Depending on the levels of education and experience you achieve throughout your career, possible career paths include:
- Police officer
- Probation officer
- Border patrol and police
- Compliance officer
- Corrections officer
- Sheriff or deputy sheriff
- State police officer, trooper or highway patrol officer
For More Information
Eastfield Criminal Justice Training Center