Law Enforcement Academy Enrollment Procedures
The Law Enforcement Academy will begin the enrollment process for an academy class three (3) months before the beginning date of a scheduled academy class. Persons interested in entering an academy class should make sure they begin the application/paperwork process as early as possible to ensure a place in the next class. Positions will be filled on a "first-come- first-served" basis. Students WILL NOT be admitted to class prior to completing all the required documentation and processing, as this is a direct violation of the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement administrative rules. The academy staff will assist you with every step in the process or any questions, however we emphasize the applicant should begin the process as early as possible to reserve a seat in the academy. Below is a general outline and description of the Step-by-Step procedure to enrolling in the Cedar Valley College Law Enforcement Academy.
- Call the academy at (972) 860-8289 to schedule an interview and receive the paperwork via e-mail.
- Complete the Personal History statement
- Applicant Interview (by appointment only) – Room C031A
- Applicant must bring their completed Personal History Statement to the interview.
- Applicant is interviewed by an academy staff member, reviewing their qualifications, academy requirements and exceptions/exemptions if applicable.
- Applicant must obtain a student ID Number (if they do not already have one)
- Applicant must take and complete the reading & writing portions of the TSI (if they haven't yet done so).
- Official Transcripts from an accredited college or university showing valid TSI scores, or showing a college level English course with a "C" or above can be an exemption.
- A transcript showing an Associates, Bachelor's, Masters', etc. from an accredited college or university is also an exemption.
- Applicant must meet the Meningitis Vaccine requirement for the college (if applicable)
- Preliminary (TCOLE) Qualifications – applicant must complete the checklist provided via e-mail when they scheduled their appointment which includes:
- Proof of education (high school diploma, GED, or higher. A DD-214 with at least 24 months (full-time) active duty service AND an Honorable discharge is also accepted.)
- DD-214 (if applicable) - cannot have been Bad Conduct or Dishonorable Discharge
- Valid TX Driver's License (Applicants with an out of state license, must obtain a TX Driver's License to enter into a Texas based Law Enforcement Academy).
- DPS Driver History Statement (Applicant must follow instruction on their checklist)
- Proof of Citizenship (must be 2 forms which include Birth Certificate, Social Security Card, or Passport –or– Naturalization papers)
- "FAST" form fingerprint/criminal history and TCOLE qualification statement. (Applicant must follow directions provided during their interview)
- Physical (L-2), which also includes a 5-panel (or higher) drug screen. Both the L2 and the drug screen results must be presented to meet this criteria. (Applicant must follow directions provided during their interview.)
- Psychological (L-3) (Applicant must follow directions provided during their interview).
- Registration must be done with the academy. Registration is not available online or through the registrar's office, as those two methods are not able to confirm that the applicant has met all the state requirements for registration.