The mission of Brookhaven’s Child Development Program includes the following:
- To offer the most current information in the field of early childhood education and child development to our students.
- To encourage and assist students in applying what they have learned in the classroom to their work and life situations.
- To promote beginning students’ college success.
- To help students find gainful employment after graduation and/or during their study at Brookhaven.
- To offer the child-care community a variety of classes, training and resources.
Our program houses Teacher Preparation degrees for students seeking to gain an Associate of Arts in Teaching (AAT) degree and transfer to a university to obtain a Texas Teaching Certificate. Another component of our program is a student success course, EDUC 1300-Learning Framework, which is a foundation course required of students new to college. This unique composition of the program enriches the Child Development Department.