What jobs can I get? How much can I get paid?
Degrees and certificates in the Automotive Technology-Diesel and Heavy Equipment program may lead to the following jobs or careers:
Bus/Truck Mechanic and Diesel Engine Specialist
Entry Hourly Wage
review current job openings and contact your advisor to review your options.
All data gathered for Dallas/Fort Worth. Source: Dallas College Labor Market Intelligence
Why Is This a Good Career Bet?
CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, projects job growth for bus and truck mechanics/diesel engine specialists at 27% through 2024 in Texas.
Other jobs in diesel maintenance may include:
- Preventive maintenance technician
- Light line technician
- Tune-up technician
What makes a good automotive or diesel technician?
- Customer service — dealing with a wide variety of people and personalities
- Critical thinking, using logic and reasoning to come up with alternative solutions
- Eye-hand coordination
- Mechanical knowledge of machines and tools, their use and maintenance
- Reading and comprehending service manuals
- Reasoning to apply general rules to specific problems
- Repairing machines and systems and knowing what tools to use
- Troubleshooting problems
- Understanding new information and how it relates to what you know