Help Undocumented Students Enroll in College

Under Texas law, it is possible for undocumented students to obtain financial aid to help them attend college. Here’s what you (and they) need to know.

Noriega Bill or Texas DREAM Act (HB 1403, SB 1528)

State law allows non-U.S. Citizens or permanent residents to apply for state financial aid programs. Those students must meet the guidelines of Texas Education Code 54.052(a)(3). The enabling legislation is HB 1403 (2001) and SB 1528 (2005), otherwise known as the “Noriega Bill” or Texas Dream Act, was signed by Governor Rick Perry.

To receive assistance from state aid programs, the student must:

  • Have graduated or will graduate from a Texas public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Texas
  • Have resided in Texas for three years leading up to graduation from high school or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma
  • Have resided or will have resided in Texas the year prior to enrolling in DCCCD
  • Sign the affidavit provided by the college that states the student intends to apply for permanent resident status in the United States as soon as the person becomes eligible to apply

Note: The identification cards issued by the Mexican government known as “Matrícula Consular” can be used as a valid ID to apply for admissions. Future students of Mexican origin who don’t have a Social Security card can get a “Matrícula Consular” at their closest Mexican consulate.

You can also view Noriega bill information in Spanish