Outreach > School Counselors and College Access Providers > Help Undocumented Students Enroll in College

Help Undocumented Students Enroll in College

Under Texas law, it is possible for undocumented students to obtain financial aid to help them attend college. Here’s what you (and they) need to know.

Noriega Bill (HB 1403, SB 1528)

The Texas state legislature has extended eligibility for state student financial aid programs to certain noncitizens. This legislation is known as HB 1403, SB 1528 or the “Noriega Bill.”

To receive assistance from state aid programs, the student must:

  • Have graduated or will graduate from a Texas public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Texas
  • Have resided in Texas for three years leading up to graduation from high school or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma
  • Have resided or will have resided in Texas for the 12 months prior to the census date of the semester in which the student will enroll in DCCCD
  • Sign the affidavit provided by the college that states the student has filed or will file an application to become a permanent resident at the earliest eligible opportunity to do so

Note: The identification cards issued by the Mexican government known as “Matrícula Consular” can be used as a valid ID to apply for admissions. Future students of Mexican origin who don’t have a Social Security card can get a “Matrícula Consular” at their closest Mexican consulate.

You can also view Noriega bill information in Spanish