Initiatives and Accomplishments
See what the campuses of Dallas College are doing to achieve their vision, mission and strategic goals for sustainability:
Dallas College Sustainability Outreach
- Dallas College has produced a Sustainability Summit annually since 2011. The event is open to students, employees and community members. On average, more than 400 people attend and 95% of those who complete the evaluation say they would recommend the event to a friend next year.
- At least once a year, Dallas College produces a "Sustainability in the Curriculum" workshop, which is open to full- and part-time faculty who want to learn how to incorporate sustainability into their disciplines.
- Dallas College has exhibited annually at Earth Day Texas, the largest Earth Day event in the USA, since its founding in 2015.
- Ten percent of the electricity Dallas College purchases is generated from renewable energy.
- Dallas College's Sustainability Team provides sustainability subject matter experts for purchasing committees that develop Requests for Proposal (RFP) (e.g. electricity, electric vehicles, recycling, etc.).
- We also collaborate with the Facilities Services Council and its Energy Management Team to identify and implement energy efficiency projects, processes and best practices.
- Received a grant that funded an Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) Climate Corps intern to conduct energy audits at all of the Dallas College campuses in the summer of 2014.
- Dallas College offers recycling at all Dallas College facilities.
- Dallas College has upgraded T-12 lamps to the more energy efficient T-8 lamps and are beginning to transition to LED lamps.
Memberships and Affiliations