See what Dallas College is doing to achieve their vision, mission and strategic goals for sustainability:
Initiatives and Accomplishments
- Dallas College has produced a Sustainability Summit annually since 2011. The event is open to students, employees and community members. On average, more than 400 people attend, and 95% of those who complete the evaluation say they would recommend the event to a friend next year.
- At least once a year, Dallas College produces a "Sustainability in the Curriculum" workshop, which is open to full- and part-time faculty who want to learn how to incorporate sustainability into their disciplines.
- Dallas College has exhibited annually at Earth Day Texas, the largest Earth Day event in the USA, since its founding in 2010.
- Renewable energy generates 10% of the electricity Dallas College purchases.
- Dallas College's Sustainability Team provides sustainability subject matter experts for purchasing committees that develop Requests for Proposal (RFP) (e.g. electricity, electric vehicles, recycling, etc.).
- We also collaborate with the Facilities Services Council and its Energy Management Team to identify and implement energy efficiency projects, processes and best practices.
- In 2019, hired an Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) Climate Corps intern to analyze and streamline our Climate Commitment and Energy Star reporting processes. In 2014, an EDF Climate Corps intern conducted energy audits at all Dallas College campuses and made recommendations for improvements.
- Dallas College offers recycling at all facilities.
- Dallas College is in the process of transitioning to LED lighting.
Memberships and Affiliations