The Sustainability Office’s vision is to put sustainable practices in action. The purpose is to provide exemplary service to increase sustainability awareness and practice at Cedar Valley and nearby communities.
The office has the following objectives:
- Promote and provide information on sustainability to the campus, its employees and students, and the public.
- Designing and facilitating programs and events that improve sustainability at Cedar Valley and the southern Dallas and northern Ellis County region.
- Providing research opportunities for current and future methods and techniques for sustainable economic development solutions for the region.
Highlight No. 1:
Monthly Sustainability Awareness Events, such as conferences/summits/round-tables and meetings that serve 300-500 community participants annually.
Highlight No. 2:
The promotion of an outdoor environmental learning area for students and the community that includes the Butterfly and Edible Garden.
Highlight No. 3:
Student’s Green Club is a vibrant group of students that promote and host sustainability awareness events and participate in sustainability events and conferences.
Additional Sustainable Initiatives
- Living Lab Programs incorporated into coursework where students construct modern "hands on" solutions for longstanding problems
- Green Leaf instruction: 8,000+ students participated in Green courses; 400+ students graduated with Green Cord recognition since 2014
- In 2016, Cedar Valley won two national Sustainability Awards (AASHE & AACC- Green Genome).
- Partnership of Cedar Valley with Yale University
- Annual Sustainable Economic Development Roundtable Discussion.
- Project Wild: Career pathway K-12 — Community College — University
- Air North Texas Partner
- Cease the Grease
- Articles mentioning CVC Sustainability
Maria V. Boccalandro
- Sustainable Communities Director