Bypass navigation bar Search Home

Getting Started

photo of the flag with dog tags

If you are a veteran or veteran’s dependent, follow the steps below to begin making progress toward a college degree or technical training. (Please note that the order of the steps is a little different at each college of Dallas County Community College District. Check with the Admissions/Registrar’s Office at the college of your choice to find out the exact order you should follow.)

  1. Apply to be admitted to the college of Dallas County Community College District of your choice.

  2. Request official academic transcripts from all colleges and universities you have previously attended and ask that they be sent to the Admissions⁄Registrar’s Office at the college you would like to attend. Official military transcripts and DD214s are also now required for all military students (active duty and veterans).

  3. Participate in an orientation session.

  4. Take an assessment test.

  5. See your college academic advisor.
    Discuss with your advisor which degree plan would best fit your educational goals. To receive veterans benefits, you must follow your official degree plan that is on file with us.

  6. Register for classes.

  7. Bring us a copy of your tuition account summary (eConnect - login required).
    Once you have paid in full for your classes or set up a payment plan, you will need to bring a copy of your tuition account summary to the Veterans Affairs Office.

  8. Apply for your VA benefits if you haven’t done so already.

Other Important Information

  • Making Course Changes: Before making any changes — such as adding classes, dropping classes, changing your academic major or making a course substitution — visit the Veterans Affairs Office to find out how these changes could affect your VA education benefits. Also, be sure to let the Veterans Affairs Office know if your contact information changes.

  • Developmental Classes: Developmental classes are designed to help you gain the skills you need to succeed in college-level classes. If you enroll in a developmental reading, writing, and/or math course, you will only receive GI benefits for these courses if you did not pass the college assessment test (e.g., TASP, ACCUPLCACER, MAPS, Compass, ASSET). If you have passed it and you are still required to take a developmental course, we need a signed letter from the dean of that department in order for you to receive benefits for the developmental class(es).

  • Flex Entry and Fast Track Classes: Flex entry classes have schedules that are different from regular semester-length classes, while Fast Track classes let you complete the requirements for some degrees in a one-year time frame. You can receive payments for enrolling in flex entry and fast track classes. However, you are only paid for the period of time you are attending these classes. Your benefits could be altered when you start or stop attending a flex entry or fast track class.

  • Repeating Courses: If you have received a grade of F, N, I, W or WX and repeat the course, you may or may not receive benefits for that course. At the colleges of DCCCD, a grade of D counts as passing unless otherwise indicated on your official degree plan.

  • Continuing Benefits: It is your responsibility to request that the Veterans Affairs Office certify your enrollment to the Department of Veterans Affairs each semester that you are enrolled. The Department of Veterans Affairs must receive a certification of your enrollment from your college’s Veterans Affairs Office before any benefits will be paid. In most cases, a copy of your tuition account summary and Certification Request Form (PDF - 184KB) will provide our office with the information necessary to prepare an enrollment certification.

  • Work-Study: Are you interested in working part time in the Veterans Affairs Office on campus? Please fill out the VA Work-Study application (PDF - 928KB) and contact your college’s VA Office for more information.