Bypass navigation bar Search Home

Foster Care Student Program


Are you an alumni of the Texas foster care system? DCCCD’s Foster Care Student Program can help you.

The Foster Care Student Program connects you to College Champions at the seven colleges of DCCCD. These Champions:

  • help you navigate financial aid, advising and other student services, from the time you enroll through graduation.
  • ​ link you ​to the resources provided by Student Life and academic support groups.
DCCCD’s Foster Care Student Program is a collaboration between the District Office of Educational Policy/Student Success and Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake and Richland colleges. 

Tuition and ​Fee Exemption

As a Texas foster care alumni, you are eligible to attend college free through a state tuition and fee exemption

Get Started

If you have been in the Texas foster care system, learn how we can help you: Contact the College Champion at the DCCCD college you attend or plan to attend.



Frequently Asked Questions 

Whom should I contact for the tuition and fee exemption letter?

Contact your PAL (Preparation for Adult Living) caseworker or the PAL supervisor, Rebecca L. Daniel, by phone at 817-25​5-2311; by email at; or by mail, 951 W. Pipeline Road, Ste. 310, Hurst, TX 76053. 

I grew up in the foster care system, but then I was adopted. Do I still have the benefits?

If you were adopted from foster care or were eligible for adoption at age 14 or older, you may also be eligible for the exemption. Learn more

Can I get free tuition if I was a ward of another state?

No. You are not eligible for the Texas college tuition and fee exemption if you were in the conservatorship of another state.

I am thinking about going to one of the colleges of DCCCD. How can I start?

Start with the Admissions and Registration Process page. You will find information about how to enroll. In addition, you can contact the College Champions at the college you choose.  

People told me to apply for FAFSA. What is that?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You need to fill out the application and submit it every year to be eligible for federal financial aid. Take a look at our FAFSA overview. Then, to get started filling out a FAFSA online, go to

I have questions about financial aid. Whom should I talk to?

Start with our Financial Aid offices. You can also look into Financial Aid FAQs, which provide answers to many questions. Be sure to read our general overview of financial aid.

Get More Information

Useful links

Student stories | College Champions | Maps and directions