Bypass navigation bar Search Home

Foster Care Initiative


Welcome to the seven colleges (Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake and Richland) of Dallas County Community College District!

logo of Foster a Future
Becoming a college student is not easy, and everyone needs support. 
Foster Care Initiative, currently, is a collaboration between the office of Transfer Services/Articulation/University Relations & Special Populations and Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake and Richland Colleges.
Foster Care Initiative connects foster care alumni students to Transition Coaches at our colleges.
  • Transition Coaches are the primary contact persons who will provide assistance from enrollment — financial aid and advising and other student services areas — to graduation.
  • The Transition Coaches will also connect the students with the resources provided by Student Life and academic support groups.  

Contact Transition Coaches

Student Stories
Useful Information and Links

Maps and directions to our seven colleges.


Smart Starts Here photo

Smart Starts Here!


Frequently Asked Questions
I am thinking about going to one of the colleges of DCCCD. How can I start?

The Admissions and Registration Process page is a good place to start. You can find information regarding the process of enrollment on that page. In addition, you can contact the Transition Coaches at the college you choose.  

People told me to apply for FAFSA. What is that?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You need to fill out the application and submit it every year.

If you plan to attend fall only, or fall and spring semesters, the priority deadline for submitting your 2013-2014 FAFSA application is May 1. If you plan to attend only the spring semester, the priority deadline for submitting your FAFSA application is Oct. 1.

That means that you need to submit the FAFSA on or before the deadlines so that you can get the most money possible. To fill out a FAFSA online, go to 

I have questions about financial aid. Whom should I talk to?

You can start with Financial Aid. This page covers the basic information you need to know. You can look into Financial Aid FAQs, which provide answers to 41 questions, or you can contact the Financial Aid Offices at our seven colleges. 

To whom should I ask for the tuition fee waiver letter?

You need to contact your PAL (Preparation for Adult Living) case worker or the PAL supervisor, Rebecca L. Daniel, by phone at 817-255-2311; by email at; or by mail, 951 W. Pipeline Road, Ste. 310, Hurst, TX 76053. 

I grew up in the foster care system, but then I was adopted. Do I still have the benefits?

The tuition and fee waiver program includes any person who was adopted and the subject of a written adoption assistance agreement. Youths who are adopted from foster care or who are eligible for adoption at age 14 or older may also be eligible for the waiver. This legislation was enacted in 1993, with revisions made in 1997. In September 2003, a new provision of Texas State Law, Section 54.2111 of the Texas Education Code, was added.

Initiated by Transfer Services/ Articulation/University Relations & Special Populations