Bypass navigation bar Search Home

Sign In

About the Social Work Program

How to Get Started

To get started in the Social Work or Substance Abuse Counseling programs, complete the admissions process at Eastfield College.

When you meet with an academic advisor, mention your interest in the Substance Abuse Counseling or Social Work programs so he or she can help you determine which courses you should take.

If you are planning to earn an associate degree or certificate, please note that you must complete 25 percent of your degree requirements at the college awarding the degree.


Dallas County residents pay $177 per three-hour class — that is $59 per credit hour, or just $708 for a full-semester load of 12 credit hours.

Compare that to what you’d pay elsewhere! See our tuition rates for tuition according to your place of residency.

Rising Star Program

If you are a Dallas County high school graduating senior, you may qualify for Rising Star funds to help pay for this program. The Rising Star program offers academic support services and up to $4,000 for tuition and books, if you have established financial need.​​

Courses Offered (Curriculum)

Get detailed information about degrees and certificates in Social Work and Substance Abuse Counseling.

Accreditation and Affiliations

The colleges of Dallas County Community College District — Brookhaven, Cedar Valley, Eastfield, El Centro, Mountain View, North Lake and Richland — are individually accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. The official statement of accreditation for each college is published on the college’s accreditation Web page.

Related Programs

Not sure exactly what you want to study? Check out other health care programs.

Other Degree and Certificate Options

The colleges of DCCCD offer nearly 350 career and technical degrees and certificates, plus more than 50 academic degrees. For more information, see a chart of degree plans by college or visit the credit programs home page.​​

Faculty Profiles

Our faculty members not only have relevant degrees but also have real-world experience in their field, which makes them able to relate to the challenges you face at work. Our instructors work with you one-on-one, encouraging you and helping you to succeed in school and on the job.

See profiles of some of our Substance Abuse Counseling and Social Work faculty.

Transfer Information

Social Work and Substance Abuse Counseling courses are designed for direct entry into the workforce. However, if you are interested in earning a degree at a four-year institution, please visit the Transfer Services website for guidance on the transfer process.

Many of our students have successfully transferred to earn bachelor’s degrees and higher in social work and human services programs at four-year institutions such as UNT, UNT Dallas, TWU, Texas A&M University-Commerce and UTA. Collaborative agreements are currently in place with department chairs of many state universities who also serve on our advisory committee, and Eastfield College is in the process of formalizing articulation (transfer) agreements with several universities.

Links to Additional Information

Note: Links to the following websites are provided for your convenience and information and do not constitute official endorsement.

  • The Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) develops and maintains social work licensing examinations used in the U.S. and Canada and is a central resource for information on the legal regulation of social work.
  • The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is the largest organization of professional social workers in the world, with 150,000 members.
  • Social Work Search provides free online services to people in social work-related positions and professions, as well as a database of related websites and résumé and job posting services.

Contact Us

If you have questions about the Social Work or Substance Abuse Counseling programs that aren’t answered on our website, please feel free to contact us.